Monday, September 24, 2012

A bit more refreshed



Well to start off, I just want to say that flying international has its highlights and pitfalls, and while I have been in my fair share of airports, I have never been in one like the Dubai airport. Part of it was more like a huge shopping mall than an airport. It was overwhelming. Especially because the local time I was there was about 11pm to 2:30 am! And to think that the Boston airport shuts down and is completely empty at midnight. I couldn’t believe how many people were there. That and the sheer number of different cultures and clothing. Living in Cambridge and having been in a very cultural / international undergraduate dorm, I’m fairly used to seeing a variety of nationalities all in the same place. It was quite different to see those different nationalities dressed in the clothing they would normally wear in their home countries.

More about Colombo, it is humid here. Mostly because it’s the time of the year it will rain off and on without warning, so the water just hangs in the air. They had a car service pick me up and the driver was very friendly. He had driven for US military bases (busses and vans mostly) in the Middle East for 12 years before coming to Sri Lanka and he absolutely loved the US. We talked about law and driving differences in the US and Sri Lanka. There is also a big cricket competition going on in Sri Lanka right now, so the Colombo airport had all sorts of signs and paraphernalia

I tried to get a lot of sleep last night though and am much more rested than I was yesterday. I plan to do some more exploring today. So hopefully I’ll find something interesting and be able to put up a picture or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment