Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I survived the gulf!

I am back from the research cruise ships! Though I may get a chance to go back out for another 5 days on a short, single ship research trip. That plan is still pending.

Oh the whole (since this will be a short update for now), it was a lot of fun and we had a great team of scientists, operators and crew on the ship. I didn't get seasick either! We didn't really have any rough water though, which helps.

There are more oil rigs than I thought out on the Gulf! I guess I never realized just how many there are in the world, let alone in one location. Closer to shore when we were going out, we could see dozens of them as we floated along out from and into the channel that took us to port. And at night they were like little cities lit up from underneath and all along the rigs themselves like the Eiffel Tower in shimmering lights. And we were never in an empty expanse of water, there were always either oil rigs or other ships that we could see while we were out there. Well, if you were tall enough. The railing on the side of the ship was just at the right height for me that usually it covered the horizon line and therefore anything that might be sitting on the water. It was always a surprise when I could see a ship through the gaps.

Like I said though, a lot of fun and we'll see if I can get out on this one that only lasts a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment